Lackawanna residents sift for answers The Buffalo News

Lackawanna residents sift for answers The Buffalo News

cigspriced
Jimmy Bevelacqua lives across the street from the charred remains of the burned-out Bethlehem Steel buildings.

But because of the pollutants in the air, he hasn't slept in his house, at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Beech Street, since the inferno ignited Wednesday, destroying the former Anneal Building, Skin Mill and shipping building a stone's throw from his front door.

"My house smells of rubber and plastic. I can't get the smell to escape, because I can't open any windows or anything," Bevelacqua said on Saturday, as an excavator was clanging into the shipping building, dismantling it.

"They're telling me it's safe. I don't really believe that. Saturday, three days after the blaze erupted Discount Newport 100S Cigarettes, Lackawanna residents were still expressing unease and concern at what was going into their lungs. A statement from the state departments of Environmental Conservation and Health meant to tamp down fears that there was lasting harm failed to quell their concerns.

"Latest air monitoring data reveal that levels of particulates, an indicator of smoke, have returned to baseline levels and are now consistent with expected levels for this time of year at the Bethlehem site," the statement read. It also said the agencies would continue to monitor air quality and provide Lackawanna residents with immediate information.

The DEC set up two air monitors to the east and northeast of the fire in residential neighborhoods on Electric and Madison avenues. The level of particulates in the air on Thursday and early Friday were in the hazardous category of the Air Quality Index. Since then, the concentrations have returned to normal levels, the statement said.

Results from test samples for volatile organic compounds will be available and released to the public next week.

The Department of Health also went door-to-door to more than 300 homes to hand out fact sheets on fire-related contaminants, reminding residents to limit exposure while the fires continued to burn and demolition work hot underway.

But Rosemarie Scahill, a lifelong Lackawanna resident who was inside Rooster's Cafe on Ridge Road, wasn't reassured. Half her family died of cancer, she said, which she attributed to environmental factors from industrial pollutants spewed into the air Online Newport Cigarette Store.

"There's nothing we can do about it," Scahill said of the potential contaminants Buy Newport Cigarettes Wholesale. "It's really sad, and there aren't going to be any answers . Lackawanna covers up everything."

Michael Affronte, who was sitting with her, said he also wants answers about what was in the air.

In Bethlehem Park, the neighborhood of about 300 families closest to the former steel plant, the smell from the fire hung in the air.

"The day they evacuated us, me and my wife woke up with sore chests and our eyes were burning," said William Bailey of Madison Avenue, who formerly worked as a machine operator at Republic Steel.

We definitely got lucky that the wind was blowing the other way, because it would have blanketed the whole neighborhood."

Bailey said some neighborhood residents have discussed starting a committee to get answers about what they're breathing. Some have also talked about getting the air ducts of their homes cleaned out.

Zac Roorda rode his skateboard by on the street, a bandanna covering his nose and mouth, he said, because of the smell of plastics in the air.

His uncle, Paul Roorda, had called in sick Friday at his store, Park Avenue Imprints, because of a headache, sore throat and feeling nauseous. Two of his employees stayed home with similar symptoms Cheap Cartons Of Cigarettes. Everyone was better on Saturday, Roorda said.

Liz Pagliei of Pine Street said the fire was the worst accident at the plant she had experienced in 53 years as a resident of Bethlehem Park Cigarettes Online Free Shipping.

"You couldn't breathe and your eyes burned," Pagliei said. "It saturated everything."

One thing that gave her hope, she said, was seeing squirrels by her house. "If you see the squirrels and the birds, you know you're all right," she said.

Suzie Lemke took the accident in stride. "I remember when the steel plant was open and the smoke was like that all the time, and everyone had money in their pocket, then," she laughed.

"I'm sure it's full of carcinogens -- it's an old building," she added. "What're you gonna do?"

Outside the steel plant, Henry Bevelacqua gazed in disbelief at the burned-out remains of the immense buildings he worked in during his 45 years at Bethlehem Steel. A boarded-up entrance he pointed to had been his office. He remembered as a young boy watching the fan on the Anneal Building lowered onto the roof by helicopter. Now, he said, things had come full circle, and he was witnessing its demise.

"I never imagined a place like this could burn," Bevelacqua said, the smell of plastics thick in the air. "I never imagined anything like this."

He added that has advised his son, Jimmy, to move away.

"I know what was in that plant," Bevelacqua said. "A lot of different chemical asbestos, all the bad plastics and other things you don't want to breathe."<br/>related article :<br/> Discount Smokeless Tobacco