Potential Subjects

Brian H.
Hey Amanda,
Just going to throw out a few suggestions for possible subjects depending on what you are in the mood to draw and what genre you are in the mood to draw next after you finish the David Tennant picture. Keep up the great work!

Firefly/Serenity
1. Jayne with his knit cap and Vera
2. Kaylee-maybe either with her umbrella or in the puffy pink ball gown. or just in her mechanic outfit.
3. Wash with his dinosaurs
4. Summer/River with the axe, sword from the end of Serenity movie, or with the gun from the episode where she says "No Power in the Verse can stop me"

Comic related
1. Hugh Jackman-Wolverine
2. RDJ/Iron Man
3. Melissa Benoist-Supergirl

Star Wars
1. Han Solo\Harrison Ford

Lord of the Rings
1. Gandalf/Ian McKellen
2. Legolas/Orlando Bloom

Miscellaneous
1. Princess Bride-Buttercup and/or Wesley
2. Willow-Mad Martigan
3. Escape From New York-Snake Pliskin
4. big Trouble in Little China- Jack Burton
5. Battlestar Galactica-Any

Re: Potential Subjects

Amanda
Administrator
Brian, thank you so much for all of these.  I finished the David Tennant picture today and I'm trying to decide on the next picture so this could not have been better timed.  I am leaning towards River from Firefly right now, half of it is finding the right picture/combination of pictures that jump out at me.

I am also trying to decide whether to do another long picture (17x40) or another traditional size picture (17x22).  I have really been enjoying the long because it's much closer to life size, but the Mal I did was normal size and I hate to have such a huge scale difference in case someone wants to have them both together.  However, I could always do another Mal that's to scale with the river.  Not sure yet.

If you have any insight it's always greatly appreciated, and thank you sooo much for all the suggestions!  Buttercup is one I had not even considered but would be amazing, I went back and watched this less than a week ago because it had been a couple of years.

Re: Potential Subjects

Brian H.
Hi Amanda, Congrats on finishing the Tennant picture I am up late doing some overnight computer work so if I ramble or my post is rather lengthy I apologize. As far as a River picture, a couple possibilities:firefly_riversfood.jpg The above picture is of her trying to eat that "problematic food". albatross_2.PNG This one is from the end of Serenity. river_victorious1.PNG End of combat scene at end of Serenity river_victory_closeup.PNG Closeup of her face from the above picture river_simon_capture.PNG And the above is the image of her and Simon escaping at the beginning of the movie. (I just put in descriptions in case I didn't upload pictures correctly and they just show as random text lines :) ) As far as the picture sizes, there are a couple things I will throw out. From a framing standpoint, the 17x22 may be easier to find a non-custom frame that you could use a mat with to frame it for hanging. The 17x40 may require a custom frame or a 27x40 poster frame with a lot of mat space on the sides. Just depends on how people want to display them. (I haven't had time to try and frame the Daryl print yet, but the Mal looks good in an 18x24 with a small mat around outside). In regards to the amazing Mal picture you have already completed (anyone who hasn't picked one up already should go do so now... I'll wait....) and doing a River in a 17x40 size, you could handle that a couple ways. 1. Have the 17x22 prints be designed as "individual" prints or stand alone prints in a series and design the 17 x40 prints in a series to form a sort of mural when placed together, kind of like they do sometimes with multiple covers of a comic book issue. That way if you had a series you really liked as you continue into the future (maybe eventually doing all 11 Doctors or whole Firefly cast as examples), it would give you an opportunity to do a second drawing of a character with a different pose or posture and not take away from the first one you did. (Not to say you can't do 5 different drawings of one character if you want to obviously) 2. Use whichever format fits the pose and character that you want to draw the best and not worry about any continuity between related prints (ie Mal and River) If you were to draw the Daryl picture on a 17x22 would it look scrunched and his crossbow end up being out of proportion or look odd versus how it looks on the 17x40? Me not being an artist I don't know the answer to that :) 3. As you move forward see what kind of prints people end up buying at Cons and on your website and go with that. (it may be hard to tell at the moment since the majority of prints are 17x22 but you can get a better feel for it as time goes on) Most people may not care about the size of the print and just care about the subject and for others an odd size may be a deal breaker. 4. From your standpoint, is one easier than the other to transport or is one size of paper easier to obtain than another? 5. And most importantly, just use whatever makes you enjoy your drawing the best :) which may go back to #2. i don't know if any of my ramblings help or not. hopefully there was something useful in there. Just keep in mind that I am saying everything from the perspective of a person who doesn't actually have to do any of the drawing that I may suggest. So while the idea of a 9 character print mural of all Firefly characters might be awesome for me to suggest (153x40) I do not have to put in any of the hours required to actually create that.

Re: Potential Subjects

Brian H.

Hi Amanda,
Just wanted to post a picture of the Darryl print now that I finally got around to framing it. It actually worked out really well. I got a 27x40 frame which left enough space next to the print to add some 8x10 autographed photos of other Walking Dead folks I had gotten at some Cons. I think it turned out pretty well. Keep up the great work!

Re: Potential Subjects

Amanda
Administrator
Hey Brian, that looks great!  I was curious how people were going to be able to frame these.  I hope you don't mind if I show this to folks as an example.

Sorry for dropping off the face of the world after talking to you about Summer Glau.  I've been pulling my hair out trying to make a picture of her work.  I restarted it a few times and needed to switch it up because after that many fails I needed an ego boost so I kept going on the Doctor Who series.  I think my style evolved a little after this last couple of pictures so I want to try Summer again now that I have these two under my belt.  I'll keep you updated on how it's going.

If you happen to be Austin for Wizard World Con or later this month in San Antonio for Alamo Comic Con stop by the alley and say hi, always nice to see a familiar face.

Re: Potential Subjects

Brian H.
Hi Amanda,
Feel free to use the picture as one way to frame your art if you like. Congrats on the two new pieces, they look great. I couldn't make it down to Austin, I was in Omaha last week, but I hope the Con went well for you and you got some new fans! Sorry Summer has been such a challenge for you, but sometimes stepping away and taking a break is the best thing. You will get inspiration at some point on how you want to tackle the picture and then it will be a breeze. :) Take care and keep drawing :)